Hot briquetting iron
SAHUT-CONREURhas developed a range of equipment specifically adapted to the Hot Briquetting Iron (HBI) made by direct reduction of iron ore (DRI).
The hot briquetting process of DRI is designed to eliminate these risks of flammability by reducing the porosity and therefore the surface in contact with the surrounding environment and which would be likely to react with the humidity contained in this environment.
Hot briquetting is a reliable and recognized process (complied with IMO standards and regulations) for the passivation of sponge iron, which allows to obtain a safe, easily handled, storable and transportable product.
- No change in chemical analysis and minimal loss of metallization, even after long-term storage.
- Compared to steel scrap, HBI has a high bulk density of about 2.6 t/m3 which improves performance in the smelting process and also offers a very low content of undesirable chemical elements such as Cu, Ni, Cr, Mo, Sn and S. In addition, its high density (4.7 - 5 t/m3) gives it a structure that enables it to resist breakage.
- Outdoor storage of the briquettes without risk in the rain and without the need for inertization as it is the case with DRI.
- Hot briquetting iron (HBI) is a top quality raw material for the manufacture of steel which contains more than 90% total iron (Fe) in almost pure form and is used in the blast furnace (BF,BOF) and electric arc furnace (EAF).
- High thermal and electrical conductivity of the briquettes and low reactivity with fresh and salt water.
- Minimal risk of overheating during storage and transport. Makes transport safer compared to cold DRI. Sea transport of the briquettes complies with IMO standards and regulations.
- HBI facilitates shipping, storage and feeding of briquettes fed from hoppers.
- Reduced and uniform size of the product (facilitates the loading of the oven).
The hot briquetting press and separator are the key components of a hot sponge iron briquetting plant.
A quench cooler tank (static or vibratory design) is placed at the end of the HBI unit to collect the briquettes from the upstream equipment and cool down the HBI briquettes under 80-100°C.
A complete range of HBI equipmentFor this type of HBI plant,
SAHUT-CONREURis able to design and manufacture/supply the following equipment.
Product Discharge Chamber (PDC)
Hot Briquetting presses
Hot Fines Recycle (HFR) - Bucket elevators
Static quench tanks
Vibratory quench tanks
Motor Control Center (MCC)
Screw by-pass feeder (HDRI)
Control-drive cabinet / Supervisory Control